Tuesday, January 25, 2011

56Km from Dromana to Cape shank down by Frankston....


This run was filled with lots of different feelings, I was not feeling 100% and I went into it with a great amount of Fear, Fear of not finishing.

The thing about running is that one should never ever fear doing it, you should always simply enjoy the experience and do your best.

Waking up for the morning a stone throw away from the start line, I was optimistic but still apprehensive, I quickly got my gear together:

LESSON ONE: don't carry so much crap on a trail run, my kit consisted of Muesli bars, jelly cups, a camel pack of water, Gatorade's, a jacket, compass, two mobile phone (oh but why ???) , first aid kit and the list gos on, probably 10kg later I'm off and running.

ANSWER ONE: ditch all the crap bar the food and a little less water.

Before one realises it your lined up on the start line and the feeling is electric, off one sets, this course promised to be full of wonderful sights and a few hard hills, as always I didn't bother to study the maps and was in for one serious first hill, a up hill battle for the first few Kilometers.


One that was over I settled into the course, the trail run was different, rocks, sticks, not a flat road coarse which is my comfortable running environment, the shoes I had on proved not to be appropriate

LESSON TWO: for a trail you need a pair of tougher shoes, I managed to destroy my feet, my toes went through the front, the base of my feet were in pain.

ANSWER: new trail shoes.

The course went on and with a few nice people about I chatted a little along the way, upon reaching the 28km marker, the half way point I was pretty much satisfied until I realised I would need to turn around and do it all over again..... On the exit.... my face, expression and comments said it all, the lesson here its a mental challenge, the half way point in any distance is always a nice spot to think about opting out, but you really need to finish what you started

LESSON THREE: don't give up half way.

ANSWER: finish what you started.

From the 35th Kilometer I think I passed the Mayor of Dronmana on his journey still coming across, nice chap wished me luck along with many others still on the way across.

When the people faded you realised the long hard slog was coming, with muscles becoming worn down, the count down of kilometers started, 38, 39, 40 ...... 45......... 50.........51,52,53,54,55,56!


The hills that we had come down over were now MONSTERS to climb, I could do nothing but a slight jog up, or a shuffle or a walk...... people passed me, BUT I would than be able to catch them on the return to some flat.....

LESSON 4: The hills are not my friend

ANSWER: Get better at climbing.....


Coming upto the 50+ Kilometer mark, some took the down hill race to the finish as a time to go faster, this is right, but on such a steep descent you need to watch those muscles especially after 50 kilometers, I paced myself and slowly passed each of these people to come on into the finish at a nice consistent pace picking up a little of the lost time from the hills.


Overall a successful weekend, I made the finish line, a few lessons learnt all be it simple lessons, and the recovery period after a longer distance is also something to watch out for.


Cheers
Jeff

No comments: